Monday, March 5, 2012

You Can Be Steve Jobs!

A few times a month I bump into an article written for entrepreneurs where the author tells the reader "You're not Steve Jobs." Usually the main point is that Steve Jobs was a unique phenomenon and trying to emulate him is a failing strategy. These articles annoy me, mostly because they start off with a negative premise.

I'd much rather read an article titled "You can be Steve Jobs." Can I actually become Steve Jobs? Of course not. But it's a lot more interesting to read about how to live up to my potential than to have some Internet Troll be soul-crushing!

Here's my 2 cents on emulating Steve Jobs and/or your favorite role model:
  • Focus on what inspires you. All of your role models from Steve Jobs to Superman are deeply flawed, but they all have traits worth paying attention to. Steve Jobs taught me that big things can be accomplished if you learn how to work with amazing people.

  • Study the limitations of successful people. How did Abraham Lincoln become president while suffering many political defeats and being massively depressed? Maybe it's worth studying why he got shot, too, because that's something I'd like to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment