Monday, August 9, 2010

Monster Killer



I don't like Monster.com. As a job seeker I've never found a job through Monster.com. As a recruiter I’ve never had success using Monster.com to fill a position. I find Monster.com's user interface horrendous and ineffective. Simply put, Monster.com isn't worth my time and I'd never recommend it to anyone.

Why hasn't anyone killed Monster.com yet? Plenty have tried, but it's not so easy. If I tried to take on Monster.com head on, I'd get eaten alive. Outspending Monster.com to buy market share with advertising or a sales force is prohibitively expensive for all but those with the deepest pockets. It is highly unlikely that a new technology or business process could come along that would give a Monster rival any sort of durable competitive advantage. To take on Monster.com, you have to find the weak spot in their armor and exploit it.

The chink in Monster.com’s armor: their site is designed for employers but not job seekers.

Monster.com doesn't call you to congratulate you on getting the job. They don't even know if you do or don't get the job. The majority of job seeker applications submitted to Monster.com will go unanswered. Monster.com doesn't help you get interviews. Monster.com won't introduce you to potential employers. Monster.com doesn’t know individual job seekers at all.

If you can design a job application site that prioritizes interaction with the individual job seeker and can develop a business model that allows it to make a profit on every transaction, you've got a winner and a Monster.com slayer.

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you on this. I never found a job through Monster and I absolutely hate recruiting with it. I've found myself wasting so much time and frustration on Monster since, you are right, the interface is terrible. It takes super long compare to the other sites to move page to page and retrieve info. If I have to use a job board, I will go to Hotjobs and Dice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about the awful applicant experience on sites like Monster.com. But I think there's more to it, so I did what any good internet person would do. I blogged about it. :)

    http://hireiq.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-application-to-rule-them-all-or-end.html

    ReplyDelete