Monday, August 2, 2010

From No To CTO

Hosted by imgur.com

This past March I rejected a job seeker’s application for a Chief Technology Officer position. He didn’t fit the narrow filtering criteria I had been asked to use in filtering applicants. In May he got the CTO job. Say wuh!? When I rejected his application, I told him why I was turning him down. I don’t remember the exact wording, but it went something like this:
    Hi Mr. Job Seeker,

    We’re going to pursue other applicants, but thanks for taking the time to apply. We’re looking for X, Y, Z in an our new hire, and I don’t see all of those experiences on your resume. If you feel I’m missing something, please let me know. Thanks for reaching out.

    -Captain Recruiter

By telling him why I was rejecting him, he knew my letter to him was both personally written and what prompted the rejection. He responded with a polite note about what I had missed and we got a dialogue going. By standing up for himself, he got my attention and eventually the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment