Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Find Important Numbers To Measure

Hosted by imgur.com

As a recruiter, it's important to be able to say how many jobs you've filled. As of July 31, Captain Recruiter has filled 24 jobs in the first 7 months of 2010. That's the best number I have to date for measuring my success. I have a list of people that I've placed in jobs at various companies, and every single person on that list will say I helped them get that job. Before 2010 the highest number of positions I'd filled was 20, and this year isn't even done yet. While everyone will want a different level of detail about what jobs I've filled and how I did it, the point is that by providing a metric I've got a great icebreaker for any conversation about recruiting.

When you are writing a resume, find numbers you can measure. It's important to do a little detective work and find out what you should be measuring. Pretend you work at a coffee shop and you're building a new resume from scratch. You might write something like...
    Served an average of 36 drinks per hour, each custom tailored for the individual orders.
That might be a good number or a bad number. You have no way of knowing unless you have a benchmark. After you talk to a few people, you might find that a Starbucks barista pumps out 360 drinks per hour. Before getting depressed about your ineptitude, you dig a little deeper and find that Starbucks has a magic gnome under the counter with a magic wand that summons drinks on demand. Now you can rewrite that line on your resume and have it say...
    Make and serve an average of 36 made-to-order drinks per hour by myself, including taking orders and operating cash register. Unlike the drinks from the magic gnome behind the counter of "megacorp coffee mill", there's handcrafted love in each tasty brew I deliver!

As I sit here and write this article I'm thinking about additional numbers by which to measure my success. How long does it take to fill each job? Did I do it solo or did I have help? What's the average recruiting expense per hire? What numbers would potential clients find interesting? I can definitely do a better job of tracking my own numbers!

As you are deciding what numbers to measure, remember to keep your target audience in mind. My audience is people who might apply to jobs and employers who need a recruiter. The more jobs I fill, the more successful I appear. However, I may need to provide different numbers to different people. A potential investor may want to know how fast my business is growing. A VP of Sales might want to know how much money I've made in a given year. An HR executive may want to know statistics about my commitment to creating a diverse workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment