Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Craptain Effect

I've got a good problem. I'm sitting here thinking about what happens if I say "no" too much. Applying to jobs via the Internet is a tough game to win, and I tell a lot of people they're not getting the job. It's better than not telling them anything at all, but hearing "no" a lot could really beat someone down. If I get big enough and end up saying "no" too many times, it is possible for Captain Recruiter to dig his own grave by pissing off the wrong person?

Hearing "no" from me dozens of times can't be good for my image. I dub this the Craptain Effect, as in "the Captain's a crappin' on me again. Can't this guy cut me a break?!"

One solution sucks, and that's just not telling people they're rejected. A solution I like better is providing better information in a kinder way. I'm not sure exactly what this means yet, but it comes down to providing access to valuable information or resources that can actually help one get a frikkin' job. Something like, "I'm not hiring your type, but my buddy at this other company is."

Stupid Craptain Effect...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you may need some sidekicks! I can only imagine the amount of applicants you have to categorize for each position, not to mention, multiple positions.

    When you get that big, and I say when because I like to speak things into existence, it may be a good idea to get like minded recruiters to work under you. Teach them your way of recruiting and going the extra mile to give every applicant a response, give them hope that you may find a position for them without even having applied! AMAZING!

    Here's an idea. Just before you about to get big you can try changing your a.k.a. This way you get a fresh start with applicants. Same method, same goal, new a.k.a. Just a thought...

    Don't let the haters get you down. You're doing something unheard of

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, there's nothing worse than not hearing anything back from a recruiter. A little constructive feedback (you didn't get the job because...) can go a long way to keep a job-seeker's trust, and keep their self-confidence up.

    ReplyDelete