Thursday, May 27, 2010

1 Party, 2 Interviews, 1 Beef, 1 Mission

I went to a party on Tuesday, and at this party there was much awesomeness. The awesomeness came not in the form of $7 drinks (including tip), but in what I got done...
  • 8:00 p.m. - I meet a woman who was laid off from her executive assistant job the day before, and I happened to be recruiting an executive assistant. Within 5 minutes of meeting her, I've called my client and have her scheduled for an interview at 10 a.m. the next morning. I'm also happy because now I can bill my client for the party :)

  • 8:15 p.m. - I meet a guy trying to hire a Rails developer. He needs a real pro, but can only pay 70-80% of market rate; the company is pre-revenue & pre-funding.

  • 8:30 p.m. - I meet a professional Rails developer who is going to school and needs a flexible work schedule. He's willing to work at 70-80% of market rate if he can avoid a rigid 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. schedule. I introduce him to guy from Bullet Point #2, and they conduct an interview right there at the party.

Here's my beef... Why doesn't all recruiting work this way? You couldn't buy that level of service if you tried, unless you hire Captain Recruiter of course! Sometimes I think recruiting is more broken than healthcare.

I'm going to fix recruiting. All of it. Looking for a job will be more fun than going on vacation, and everyone on the planet will have to deal with best problem ever - being forced to decide between multiple job offers. The staffing industry isn't prepared for what I'm cooking up. For the record, if I win a Nobel Prize, I'm spending the $1 million payout on beer.

1 comment: