Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Recruiter's Dilemma

A recruiter's job is to fill jobs. When I fill a job, I look good. But what do I do to look good when the job hasn't been filled yet? For some positions there are WAY too many applications to review; it's like trying to find a needle in a stack of haystacks. Sometimes I am tasked to fill a position for which I'll be lucky to find one qualified candidate, and that's a tough spot to be in too.

It's really hard to explain to most hiring managers what it is that I do. Half of them say "How do you do that?", and the other half say "I glad I don't have to do your job". I'm blessed when I work with a hiring manager who understands that a position is hard to fill; as long as I can quantify my activity and I'm filling easier positions, I've got some autonomy to work without being micromanaged. When a hiring manager isn't interested in why I'm having trouble finding the right candidate, I'm in a tough spot; it's impossible to please someone who doesn't want to be pleased.

For difficult-to-fill positions, my opinion is that each individual hiring manager will need a custom solution. This means doing what I can to make their lives a little bit easier. My #1 duty is filling jobs, but my #2 duty is managing relationships. While I can't give every hiring manager what they want when they want it, I can show that I'm doing my best to accommodate their needs. It's important to remember it's not about me. My hiring managers are my customers, and they directly or indirectly pay my bills, which means doing what I can to get them what they want (or at least what they need).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the useful information. I visit your site and my self very appreciate with this blog. In this blog which you have write about It's really hard to explain to most hiring managers what it is that I do. That is very very important for us. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete