Friday, April 9, 2010

Dear CR: I'm Ready For A Regular Job

DEAR CAPTAIN RECRUITER,

I'm on the hunt for my next big thing. For the last 8 years I've run my own small business, and for 20 years before that I worked in marketing for various corporations. Do you have any advice on how to find a recruiter I can work with?

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME,
SMALL BIZ SAM,

--------------------

DEAR SBS,

I encourage you to develop your own network of contacts. Us recruiters have a hard time placing people like yourself because on paper you don't look like someone who will be accustomed to working in a regular company in the recent past. No matter how much I may like you, a similarly qualified applicant will look like a "company person" who can put up with all the shenanigans that come with being an employee. Since it's easier for a hiring manager to hire someone who is used to being managed as an employee, the hiring manager talks to employees before business owners and consultants.
    Here's a few things employers typically have said to me about entrepreneurial types looking to get back into a regular job:

  • "Why does this person want to work for me? They should be making more working for themselves."

  • "Consulting is synonymous with being unemployed, and unemployed people are more likely to not make good employees."

  • "This person looks too senior, and I don't want to pay that much."

  • "I want to hire someone who is more acclimated to big company life."

  • "This person has been working by themselves and will not be used to working on a team."

In your quest to find something new, be honest with yourself. Think back to the things you didn't like about being an employee working for someone else. Those problems will come back to you again, and you may or may not be willing to put in the work to deal with corporate crapola.

CHEERS,
CAPTAIN RECRUITER

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Post.

    Thanks for the insight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every one of these comments applies to me. Unfortunately, in this environment, what do you do when your company isn't paying the bills and you need to go work for someone else?

    ReplyDelete