Sunday, April 18, 2010

Captain Writes A Resume - Day 3: Feedback

From 4/16 to 4/22, I'm writing my own resume. It's time to stop pontificating and see if I can actually put one together myself.

On Friday I sat down with a client and asked him point blank for feedback on recruiting I've done for him. He was willing to share, and listening to what he said was really interesting. Here's the short, short version...

    What I did well:

  • Learning and understanding what the positions I recruit for are really all about.
  • Following through on things; I didn't have to be micromanaged.
  • Screening candidates very well and shielding the hiring manager from irrelevant applications.
  • I built a new QA team for him from scratch, and he REALLY valued this. I think this is going on my resume.

  • What I could have done better:

  • Be more proactive about setting expectations; the hiring manager was relying on me to convey recruiting best practices.
  • Focus more on selling the merits of the organization, not just the duties of the position.
  • Loosening up a little bit; I put a lot of pressure on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment