Monday, March 1, 2010

Recruiter On Rails

This weekend I helped assist at a Ruby on Rails workshop for women, and I have to say it was a lot of fun. It's always enjoyable to be around a lot of people who are all motivated to learn. My favorite part of the day was when a woman approached me, told me that she read my blog, and had mentioned it to others :)

The Ruby community has been a really good resource for me. Ever since I started attending Ruby Meetups in July, nothing but good things have happened. My knowledge about software development has expanded greatly, I've made a lot of friends, and I've picked up the basic skills needed to work with geeks.

While I never really set out to do a lot of business with the Ruby crowd, that is starting to happen. Working with Sarah to hire interns has been a lot of fun, and people are approaching me to discuss their next career moves. I'll be interested to see if my recruiting application will be of much interest to the Ruby crowd when the app is ready, which might be pretty darn soon (March?!) My hope is that I'm earning the right kind of attention, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment