Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Social Media Overload

I got Facebotwittebloggified late last year. Pretty much everyday for September and October I blogged about something off the top of my head, and then I felt like I was running out of interesting things to say. I'd written about everything that was fresh in my mind, and then being creative got a lot harder. In San Francisco, everywhere you turn there's people talking about Twitter, Facebook, memes, viral marketing, blah blah blah.

    Well, I noticed a few things in my adventure to give Captain Recruiter a visible presence online...

  • Talking a lot makes you good at talking a lot. There's no correlation between the quantity of what you say and the quality of what you say. If I'd kept writing a ton of stuff through November and December, I'd have diluted my own value proposition and made my blog twice as big and hella boring (i.e. crappy). It seems to me that no one could possibly have the time to read everyone's tweets about picking grandma up from the airport or waiting with nail-biting anticipation over the next anxiety-inducing mundane event.

  • People like reading my stuff, or at least some people tell me they do. That shows me there's some value in being visible. If I combine being visible with a desire to not talk too much, that means I should blog whenever I have something relevant to say. If fans can wait years for a new Stephanie Meyers novel, my fans can wait a few days or weeks for me to write something interesting. I dare Stephanie to write a book called "Edward And Bella Do Their Taxes" and see how relevant her fans think it is to vampire/werewolf love/hate shenanigans (BTW, I loved New Moon).

  • Being a self proclaimed expert isn't about going it alone. I got burned out on writing after I couldn't find things to say. Then I asked just two people what they thought about job hunting and hiring and immediately had 20 new ideas. Bam! Being relevant means talking to people about shiznit they want to hear. After all, most of my most interesting content comes from my experiences interacting with other people. I'm allowed to have flashes of creative genius, and I probably need a few to build something original, but most of the things I know come from engaging with others.

  • I don't have to do it the way someone else did it. That Gary Vaynerchuck guy didn't get to the top of his little wine empire because someone invented Twitter and blogs. He's a bright guy who knows wine, and even in the 1800s he probably would have found a way to expose himself (yes, I used that on purpose, because the idea of a successful person running around in nothing but a trench coat is funny to me). He has overdosed on social media big time, but he's also done a brilliant job of it. However, I really don't think that talking to every person on Twitter all day long will be the key to my success. All I have to do is head in the right direction and listen to what my constituents are asking for. If three people in three conversations with me all mention the same thing, I probably don't need to talk to 3000 more people to learn that over thing again and again and again and again and again... The key to my success is knowing that I'll be successful and finding a path that works for me AND my audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment