Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Power Of "Thank You"

Tonight I had dinner with a job seeker looking for his next gig. I like to meet up with people from time to time who seem like they're struggling to figure out why they aren't being successful. He's a very bright guy, probably the type who finds it hard to find meaningful employment because it's hard for him to be challenged. Based on his skills alone he is highly employable.

During dinner he seemed a little thickheaded. He knew he wasn't getting what he wanted in his job search, but I didn't get the impression he was really listening to anything I had to offer about looking for either regular or full time work. Every time I had a suggestion about why he might try this thing or that thing, he'd acknowledge my thought as a good idea and then come up with a reason it wouldn't quite work for him. He'd say things like "I need to be challenged" or "I need to make a difference". He seemed determined to know better than I did what was best for him, even though we were meeting to discuss my thoughts on his career search.

After we'd finished dinner and parted ways, I felt like I'd wasted my time, until he called to say "Thank you, I really appreciate the fact that you spent time with me tonight." Immediately my opinion of him changed from stubborn-and-not-getting-it guy to this-is-a-guy-I-could-work-with guy.

Say thank you. Manners matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment