Sunday, October 11, 2009

Find Something You're Good At

I'm not great at English. Read this blog and you'll find plenty of typos and grammar errors. I'm not a very good computer programmer. My ability to learn and write software is limited, at least compared to the pros I've seen. Organization skills are pretty low on my list of innate talents, too. Perhaps my worst trait is finger dexterity. I've got a piece of paper that shows test results quantifying my fingers as being clumsiest fingers EVER (bottom 5% of all people anywhere).

When it comes to math, I'm not bad. When it comes to seeing the big picture, I'm excellent. I'm really good at connecting dots that don't look like they go together. Perhaps one of my greatest strengths is my ability to rip away all of the bullshit and figure out what's important.

If I were a poet, I'd starve. If I were your heart surgeon, you'd die. As a mathematician, I'd probably make a pretty good high school teacher. As an executive (with a secretary) in charge of strategy and direction, I'd be frikkin' awesome.

Since my strongest talents weren't obvious, I had to find them. I used to quit jobs a lot because I learned pretty quickly that I wasn't going to be very good at a career in [pick something, I've tried it]. Then I read Seth Godin's book The Dip, and I figured out that I'd been doing it right all along. After a bajillion jobs, I've found recruiting, and I'm really, really good at it. After sticking with recruiting long enough and knowing that I could get really good, it's starting to pay off for me quite a bit. Not only do I know the basics of recruiting, I can perform at a high level because I'm a natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment