Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Recruiter Studies Ruby

I've talked about Ruby a few times, a programming language I'm studying independently. This is part hobby, part professional, and part educational. In July and August I was pretty gung ho, in September I got a little burned out, and now in October I'm settling in for the long haul of slowly learning as I have time.

    Studying Ruby has helped me do the following...

  • I am a more efficient technical recruiter. When I interface with a job seeker, the conversation is much more smooth. I can effectively sell a job and better screen for the candidates most likely to be successful. When working with a hiring manager, I'm able to better sell a job seeker's application and I can more clearly identify what the hiring manager is looking for.

  • I'm more credible. Employers and job seekers spend less time thinking I'm some dorky recruiter and more time thinking I am a source of help and information. Believe me, it's a lot easier as a recruiter to fill a job when your constituents respect you

  • My blog is more interesting. By learning something new, I have new things to say. That stuff gets pumped right into these blog articles, and then people notice I'm a smart recruiter!

  • I've learned that when it comes to programming I don't know a damn thing relative to the real superstars. I used to be one cocky son of a bitch because I could spew out some geeky words, but I've been humbled by all of the stuff in programming that's really frikkin' hard. When you see someone who's good at something completing their work, it's easy to forget exactly how much time and effort they've put into being damn good. Writing good software is hard and always requires mental effort.

  • Learning to program has helped me quite a bit in running my business. Writing good software is easier when one thinks ahead about what problem is supposed to be solved. When you just start writing code with no goal in mind, it's really easy to get sloppy and wasteful. A software program with no planning behind it is bloated and hard to understand. Now it's easier to appreciate how in the real world when an important challenge comes along, how useful it is to sit down and give it a little thought before throwing resources at the problem.

  • By hanging out with the Ruby crowd, I feel like I'm making some new and interesting friends :)


That's all for now. Just taking some time to reflect on the last few months and see where I've been. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment