Monday, October 12, 2009

Maintain Your Cool At Work

A friend of mine had a really bad day at work today. One of his coworkers, someone 20 years younger, made a crack about his age. He blew up at his coworker and stormed out. When I asked him what had happened, I told him it didn't sound too serious, and then he blew up at me. Yikes! My bad? :P I guess I could have been more sensitive...

When you are on the job and someone says something that hits a nerve, don't lash out. Your ability to flourish in the work place, especially when it comes to getting promoted or recruited, depends on the strength of your relationships with other people. There is no way, and I mean no way, that lashing out at anyone on the job can help you.

In an era of political correctness, sexual harassment, whistle blowing, and any other thing you can sue a coworker or employer for, think twice before you file complaints. You may think you're right, you may even be right, but in the end it'll probably cost you more than it's worth. Lawyers are expensive, trials are long, and your strong personal brand takes a long time to build and can be quickly destroyed. Can you think of even one tattletale who is greatly admired as a person who did the right thing? Losing your cool at work is likely to cost you more than whoever committed the offense in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment