Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Want To Be Criticized On Wikipedia

This past Monday someone told me about a highly opinionated career blogger named Penelope Trunk (and she also runs a startup call Brazen Careerist. She talks about everything. I haven't read her entire blog yet, but it would appear that pretty much no topic is off limits to this woman. She talks openly about her personal successes and failures with reckless abandon. I love it!

One of the main points that Penelope makes is how important networking is. It's totally true. I haven't mastered the art yet, but she's right. The most interesting work I've done as a recruiter has been by referrals from people I've never even worked with. A Board Member of Walmart was an investor in one of my clients, and he referred me to another one of his portfolio companies based on the fact that someone said something nice about me. Mr. Board Member never asked for my resume and never inquired about my abilities as a recruiter. Someone told him I'm a very good recruiter, and I am, but he didn't actually know that.

Penelope is famous enough that someone wrote a Wikipedia page about her, and she's famous-er enough to have critics writing about their concerns on Wikipedia. I've been telling a few of my friends lately that if you don't have critics, you're not that important. I don't have any critics openly talking smack about me, but I hope to earn some. I can tell you that most people don't respond to what you write, so if someone actually cares enough to go to the trouble of complaining about you, you've got some serious eyeballs reading your stuff.


We're about to see how important or influential I am...

Dear faithful Captain Recruiter blog readers, please do the following...

  • Create a Wikipedia page for Captain Recruiter.

  • If you hate me or work that I've done for you, express your concerns or write something nasty on that page, too!


Thanks!

Captain Recruiter

No comments:

Post a Comment