Sunday, September 20, 2009

How To Write An Effective Blog - Thoughts After 3 Weeks

I had one goal in mind when I started this blog, to gain visibility. Even though I started recruiting in 2005, I hadn't done much to develop a personal brand. The recruiting industry is extremely competitive, and I wasn't standing out. Well, I've got some visibility now.

Here are some things I've learned from 3 weeks of blogging...

  • People are most likely to respond to things that are funny or inspirational. Articles that are informational or neutral are read, but they don't invoke an active response. I just need to remember that I have no desire to talk for the sake of talking.

  • This is a great way to educate people. I've had at least 6 people tell me that I'm not like most other recruiters, and I'm pretty sure they mean that in a positive light.

  • There's nothing wrong with having an opinion and expressing it. People judge me positively or negatively in person, but that's a very small audience. I'm judged online, too, but by more people. As my audience grows, the key (I think) will be to form relationships with people who could use my services.

  • Starting with a niche helps a lot. Most of my readers are people I already interact with, either through a mailing list I belong to or people I'm connected to on my Facebook page or my Twitter feed. However, I was looking at the logs to get more information about how people were finding my site, and a few of them came straight from Google. This article seems to get more attention that the rest.


So where do I go from here? I'd like to have a cleaner design for Captain Recruiter, so I'm definitely going to work on that. Would like to learn more about search engine optimization (SEO). Mostly, I think I just keep plugging away, generate content, and working on refining my skills as a writer. One things I'm learning is that the longer you stick with something, the more likely that you'll get noticed by someone who takes you seriously. Will also start talking about my accomplishments, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment