Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Don't Be Afraid To Ask Dumb Questions

Don't be fooled into thinking there's no such thing as a dumb question. Some questions are VERY dumb (like "Are you pregnant? I can't tell.") However, if you don't actually know if a question is dumb, there's no way to figure it out except to ask the question. I'd rather be a well informed, momentary dork than a clueless SOB who is afraid to get hurt.

I recently needed a favor from someone I thought didn't respect me. I did everything I could to avoid asking this person and avoided making the request for like 3 weeks. In the end, I asked. I got a yes. That was a good exercise in don't-frikkin'-put-it-off (DFPIO), or as I like to say, diffipio.

When it comes to seeing if someone is hiring, ask. Practice on people you don't want to work for first, you'll be less likely to blow a hot opportunity with your potential employer-to-be, but you need to ask eventually.

Need a favor? Ask. Need a ride? Ask. Need a job? Ask. Need a mole removed? Don't ask. Instead just whip out some cash at the doctor's office, point to the offending growth, and silently act out the process of removing the sucker (maybe you should ask, but trying to get medical treatment by acting like a mime can be fun).

No comments:

Post a Comment